So since I love to bake and am beyond excited about bringing our fur baby home next week (and because we love bacon and I always hate to just dump all of the leftover grease), I decided to whip up a patch of Bacon Treats that I found on Pinterest. The recipe comes from the blog, Vanessa Baked:
The recipe is very simple and easy:
- 2 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (regular AP flour can be used)
- 1/3 -1/2 Cup Bacon Grease (room temp)
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to350 degrees
- Whisk the egg, water and bacon grease together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the flour, until a dough forms. If the dough is still sticky, just add more flour in 1/4 cup increments.
- Generously flour your work surface and place dough on floured surface. Sprinkle flour on top of dough and rolling pin. Roll out the dough on a floured surface anywhere between 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thickness. Prick the entire surface with a fork.
- Cut into preferred shapes. Place as many as you can on baking sheet. These will not spread.
- Bake 25 -30 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool completely.
I used gluten-free rice flour instead of the whole wheat flour. I’m not sure why, other than the fact that I live in Hippieville, USA, and I guess I figured maybe if gluten-free flour is healthier, it would balance out the bacon grease. Flawed logic, I am sure. Perhaps because of that, I ended up using quite a bit more flour than the recipe called for, maybe 3/4 to a full cup more. So I would advise having plenty of flour on hand when making these. Also, when I took mine out of the oven after half an hour, they still seemed a little soft to me, so put them back in for five or so more minutes. They look cute and smell super yummy. I guess our Preppy Puppy will have to give it the taste test once she finally arrives! It was a fun afternoon project to with the kids, to boot. I call that a win!